We embrace sustainability by striving to make a positive, lasting impact on society and the environment.
Sustainability is at the core of what we do and how we operate—focusing on the environmental, social and governance impact of our business. Through our projects and our operations, we have both a significant opportunity and a responsibility to protect, enhance and restore the world’s natural and social systems.
Our commitment to sustainability goes beyond meeting clients’ requirements and complying with regulations at the local, state, provincial or national levels.
Whether we’re reducing greenhouse gas emissions, developing new ways to conserve water or promoting renewable energy, our commitment to sustainability drives innovation, resilience, risk reduction and provides attractive project life cycle returns on investment.
Committing to Excellence
Having achieved our previous emissions reduction targets ahead of schedule, we have set new science-based targets for 2025 that are in alignment with the Paris Agreement’s goals to limit the worst effects of climate change: a 20% reduction in Scope 1 and 2 emissions and a 10% reduction in supply chain emissions from our 2018 baseline.
Our new targets have been independently approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and, at the time of approval, AECOM was the first and only U.S.-based company in the engineering and construction sector to have set approved targets.
Key actions to achieve our emissions target include phasing out inefficient fleet vehicles, pursuing vehicle emissions reduction technology options, right-sizing our real estate portfolio, investing in office energy efficiency and purchasing more renewable energy.
In fiscal 2019, we achieved an 18% reduction in total Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions, which builds upon the strong performance we have delivered in prior years. In fact, since fiscal 2016, we have reduced our total Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by more than one-third, including a nearly two-third reduction in Scope 1 emissions.
Additional accolades include:
- Founding member of the Climate Leadership Council
- Signatory of the United Nations Global Compact since 2012
- Ranked #1 in 2019 “Top 200 Environmental Firms”
- Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by Workplace Gender Equality Agency 7 years running
- 100% Rating on 2019 Corporate Equality Index/Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality
- No. 1 2020 Military Friendly? Supplier Diversity Program in the U.S.
- AECOM has been a trusted partner providing strategic planning services for cities participating in 100 Resilient Cities—pioneered by the Rockefeller Foundation (100RC). The program supports 100 cities globally in tackling issues of globalization, urbanization and climate change by developing a resilience strategy. In 2019, AECOM assisted nine cities with resilience strategies, including Seattle, The Hague and Kyoto. 100RC announced it has concluded its existing program, and the Rockefeller Foundation will fund its programming through a new project.
- Resilient Reefs funds long-term resilience planning, capacity building and implementation across five World Heritage reef sites. We are the Implementation Partner for this global program and will support five World Heritage coral reefs to develop resilience strategies over the next four years.
- We have set up a Natural Capital Laboratory (NCL) in the UK – a testbed site where teams can undertake experimental new techniques to quantify, measure and communicate environmental and social change. Built around the digital environment, the lab is using AI, drones, and earth observation data to monitor the site. The NCL will provide a global platform to highlight and communicate our unique expertise and capacity for innovation.
- We are supporting the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to deliver environmental action plans in cities across Eastern Europe and the Middle East. The plans provide a roadmap of priority actions to improving the cities’ environmental performance as well as informing EBRD’s investment planning in the city.
We deliver safe and secure infrastructure to those who need it most, to create opportunity for the leaders of tomorrow and to protect our planet. Learn More
Download AECOM’s past sustainability reports:
2019: United by Purpose. Unrivaled in Expertise
2018: Delivering Growth. Building Strength
2017: Building a more resilient world
2016: Transforming Tomorrow
2015: Delivering impactful solutions
2013: Managing complexity, building better lives
2012: Complex problems. Integrated solutions
2011: Create. Enhance. Sustain
Note that beginning in fiscal 2018, AECOM integrated the Sustainability Report with its Annual Report. For fiscal 2014, no report was published to due to the acquisition of URS and Hunt Construction.